Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sugar Cookies from Grandma

Sorry for not posting yesterday - it was definitely a mundane kind of Monday. I was sick. Bleh. Not a happy experience.

For today, I want to share a recipe that I consider comfort food in a major way. My Grandma Ruby (Dad's mom) was a phenomenal cook. A virtuoso (or is that virtuosa) in the kitchen. Here is one of her best recipes for a crispy sugar cookie.


Grandma's Sugar Cookies
Ingredients:
1 c. crisco (or other vegetable) oil
1 c. margarine
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 t. baking soda
2 t. cream of tartar
2 t. vanilla (or to taste)
dash salt
5 c. flour

Preparation:
Cream oil, margarine, and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Mix. Add vanilla, soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Slowly mix in the 5 c. of flour until dough is stiff. Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour - longer is better. (Do this part with your hands) Roll balls of dough so you create small balls approximately 1 inch in diameter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Press balls flat with sugared glass.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake cookies for 10-15 minutes until cookie is lightly/golden brown. Keep an eye on these if your oven runs hot.

NOTE: If you've never flattened cookies before, I find a glass (an actual GLASS cup works best - doesn't stick). I run the glass over the bowl of dough then sugar the bottom of the glass. I press a cookie flat, then resugar. You can use colored sugars, flavored sugars or whatever makes you happy. I recommend cinnamon sugar - tasty.

Word of warning. I find the biggest trick to getting cookies baked and shared with others is my desire to eat the uncooked cookie dough. It is so delish! Enjoy these cookies - baked or raw. Either way, it's a good thing. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment