Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Medieval Food


It's Tummy Tuesday everyone! Rumbly tumbly in my tummy. Time for something good.

Yeah, I know Pooh always says something sweet. I like to be different. I'll go for savory today.

Something new about me. I joined the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) in 1997. When I was a kid I was a painfully picky eater, but when you're in the SCA you learn to adapt or starve. I adapted. Now, I'm really glad I did. Some of the food I've sampled has been incredible. Some, not so much.

I live in the Kingdom of Calontir. There are any number of truly extraordinary cooks in this Kingdom. One of them is Mistress Catherine Anne Applebee. She redacts recipes and does all kinds of magical things with food. Today's recipe is MY version of one of her recipes. My version isn't period (which means they wouldn't have used these incredients in the Middle Ages, but I love it anyway).

Mushroom Onion Tart (a la Francesca)

I start with a pre-made pie crust and blind bake it at 425F until just done - don't brown it.

Next cook the following in a skillet:

Heat olive oil. Then add:
  • 1 medium to large sweet onion, diced.
  • 1 pkg button or baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped. I leave off the stems.
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • minced garlic to taste
  • desired spices ** (more about these later)
Cook the entire tasty mess until tender and the onions are translucent. Let cool.

In a bowl mix:
  • 3/4 c. sour cream
  • 3 eggs lightly beaten
  • 1 scant teaspoon nutmeg
  • minced garlic to taste (yes, I LIKE garlic)
  • 1 T chives (or other herb**) to taste
  • 1 8 oz. pkg of grated cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp or extra sharp)
  • salt and pepper
Mix together the sour cream, eggs, herbs, nutmeg, salt & pepper. Combine with the cooled mushroom and onion mixture. Add the cheese last. (Yes, I said nutmeg. It makes the dish. Really!)

Pour into the pie crust and bake for 20-30 minutes at 425F until set and lightly brown. The middle should NOT jiggle like Jello.

What emerges is a tart fit for a King. Queen. Lady. Or just me.

**Note: I discovered the most AMAZING ready to use herb...stuff. It is called Gourmet Garden Italian Seasoning Herb Blend. It squeezes like green toothpaste and looks less than appetizing but it smells like heaven! And it tastes like it too!





No comments:

Post a Comment