Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Erotic Romance and Ratings

Of late, I've read far too many published and unpublished writers dissing erotic romance on listservs to which I belong. It has really upset me and made me angry. Posts I've read on these lists talk about erotic romance being all sex and no romance. Writers/readers say they skip over the sex to get to the next part.

Well, some important points are part of the expression of sexual love. I just wrote a love scene in which I drop clues about my hero's phobia during the love scene. If someone skips my love scene, they miss that clue and will get blindsided later in the story. BTW, it is a LOVE scene and not just sex. That's what makes it an erotic romance.

Now I won't tell a reader what they should read. I don't like being told what to read either. But another aspect of these postings included writers suggesting that books should have ratings. If publishers voluntarily put some sort of rating on their books, that is there choice but asking the state or federal government to step in to enforce some rating system is just wrong. It makes me cringe. I can imagine the easily offended specifically hunting out books with certain ratings in book stores and libraries then attempting to get those books banned. Fahrenheit 451 here we come! Now, perhaps that isn't what the writers meant, but it sure sounded that way to me.

Recently books have been challenged at the high school in my town. The uproar on both sides of the issue was thunderous. It is important to remember that every book out there is going to offend SOMEONE! Religious books offend atheists. Left wing political books offend right wingers and vice versa. Erotic romance books offend people who don't want their romances to have sex and strong language. Heck, Captain Underpants offends some parents. There is a solution...

If a book offends you, don't read it and don't buy it.
Problem solved.
All is right with the world.

For my next trick I'll solve global warming. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment