Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Why I love Alpha Males!

What is it that draws romance readers and writers alike to the Alpha Hero?
Let me throw a few words your way...

Intensity... Passion... Honor... Chivalry...


All this and more is what I love about an Alpha male, whether I'm reading a romance or writing one. An Alpha male will die for the heroine and not bat an eyelash at the sacrifice.

But you may argue, he's a control freak. He's bossy. He always has to win. Uh huh. Until the irrestistable force (hero) meets the immovable object - of his affections (the heroine).

Another argument I've heard.... He's the representation of the paternalistic society oppressing women. Yup - until he meets the heroine. Romance is about feminine empowerment because the heroine is the one in control of the relationship.

Is that what really draws us? Naw, we like alpha males cause they're hot. When they want a woman, they chase her down like prey and there's an inherent excitement in a man being that fascinated. And no, I'm not talking "real world" stalkers. They are scummy bastards that deserve to be jailed as soon as possible. I'm talking about the fantasy - which is what romance is after all. When an alpha male wants, he chases. When he falls in love, he's brought to his knees.

What a heady power trip for any heroine, reader, or writer. Time to start writing now... I'm stoked!

No comments:

Post a Comment